I love food! There is not much I don’t eat and I have never been fussy. I have found that since getting back into full swing with my fitness journey and wanting to be healthier, I have really had to watch my portion sizes. I am naturally quite a big eater and I am definitely a big snacker, I always have been!
I get a few questions about what I eat in a typical day so I thought I would elaborate and go through what my day often looks like foodwise. Firstly, it is important to know that I do a allow myself cheat meals every now and then and we do enjoy socialising etc (although I haven’t drank a drop of alcohol in over 15 months). If i feel like eating something I will (in moderation) as I believe that total elimination of foods you enjoy can lead to binge eating or emotional eating. However, I love healthy, fresh food and 90% of the time I make healthy choices! This is a lifestyle and not a fad or unrealistic ‘diet’. I don’t do diets, they are too hard to stick too and if I restrict certain foods I end up resenting it and then sneakily eating it anyway…. what’s the point?!
I have previously written a post about cutting all dairy out of my diet while I am breastfeeding my daughter as she has a cow’s milk protein allergy. You can read more about that topic here. I was a bit of a chocoholic (during and straight after my pregnancy) so as you can imagine this was quite devastating to have to give up chocolate cold turkey once I found out about her allergy. Thank God for Cacao, that’s all I can say! And now that it has been over 5 months without chocolate, I actually don’t miss it.
Quite a while ago I also cut out all soft drink and regular tea and coffee (I drink water throughout the day and green tea and peppermint tea). I also don’t have any added refined sugar in anything. These are just some minor changes I have made in the last year and they have definitely helped with weight loss after my second pregnancy but more importantly it has given me a huge boost in energy. Even though I am getting quite a bit less sleep than a year ago, I feel so much more energetic throughout the day, I am much less moody, my skin is better and I do not get bloated or stomach aches. In general, I feel the best I have ever felt.
So, what does FitM.U.M’s typical day look like when it comes to food? I’m glad you asked……
Call me a creature of habit but I pretty much have the same breakfast every single morning and I LOVE IT! My only variation to this is perhaps once or twice per week instead of cooked oats, I make overnight oats and eat them cold (delicious).
7.00am – Breakfast Oats & a cup of green tea with lemon
1/2 cup of traditional rolled oats with oat milk (alternatively almond or rice milk)
Once cooked, I sprinkle with chia seeds and diced apricots and then top with either blueberries or a sliced banana (or sometimes both if I have done a morning workout). Drizzle of honey (optional).
10am – Snack is usually a green apple and banana (if I didn’t have one on my oats) or a handful of berries or nuts
1pm – Lunch & a cup of green tea
Chia mountain bread wrap with lean turkey, ham or tuna and mixed salad fillings eg. lettuce, baby spinach, grated carrot, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and ALWAYS avocado!
3pm – Afternoon Snack of any of the following options:
- Homemade trail mix which includes raw almonds, cashews, cranberries, diced apricots, dates, pepitas
- Tuckers Natural Multifibre snacks, Tiny Dippers or Quinoa Snack Bites (http://www.tuckersnatural.com.au/). These are also so easy if I am out and about and I take them in my bag so I am never without a healthy snack
- Apricot bliss balls. Recipe here
- Cacao nut protein balls. Recipe here
- Smoothie incorporating a mix of greens (ie. spinach and kale) and fruit (ie. banana, berries, kiwi fruit) and chia seeds and walnuts
- Hummus with carrot sticks
6.30pm – Dinner. We tend to rotate between a few of our staples:
- Grilled Chicken or Steak and at least 3 green vegetables (eg. asparagus, brocollini, snow peas, beans) and a small serve of quinoa
- Stir-fry using quinoa instead of rice or noodles. Lots of Veg.
- We sometimes do our own schnitzels using almond meal as the crumb
- Tacos and quite often I will have mine in an iceberg lettuce cup rather than the shell (I load up on the salad and homemade guacomole)
- Homemade pizzas
We don’t have dessert as an every night kind of thing but if I feel the need for something extra or something sweet at night (maybe twice a week) I enjoy:
- Frozen banana ‘ice-cream’ or berry sorbet in the magic bullet
- A bliss ball (see above snacks)
- Choc-coco muggin (muffin in a mug). Recipe here
- Choc-nut granola. Recipe here. Irondad likes his on top of greek yoghurt or straight out of the container(!!). I like mine sprinkled over my frozen banana ‘ice-cream’
I drink 3 litres of water throughout the day and I always end my night with a cup of peppermint tea. I find it helps me wind down and soothe my tummy at the end of the day.
So that is basically my day on a plate! Hope you have found it useful or interesting. Feel free to ask any questions or leave a comment here or on FitM.U.M’s Facebook page.
Enjoy FitMummys xx